Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chicken Casserole

This recipe originally came from my college roommate’s grandmother. Confused? Here’s how it started. My roomie is from Douglasville, GA and I would travel home with her fairly regularly on weekends. We would occasionally make a stop in Ragland, AL to visit her grandmother. This lady ranks up there as one of the best grandmother’s ever! She would cook for us, send food back with us, and she even made me a nice UA blanket, which I LOVE!! I mean, who just does that? An awesome granny, that’s who!!
The chicken casserole she made for us on this particular visit consists merely of chicken, a creamy base, and a ritz cracker topping. Plain, simple, and delicious! We learned how to make this for ourselves and thought we were in heaven. I made this one time and decided to add rice. The next time, I added cheese. Occasionally, I add broccoli (although the hubs doesn’t like). This casserole has evolved over the years and is still a household favorite.  Here’s what you’ll need:
1lb Chicken Breast - boiled & chopped (Reserving about 2-3 cups chicken broth)
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
16oz. Sour Cream
6 Servings Minute Rice - cooked according to pkg. directions
2 Cups Shredded Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Topping:
1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers, crushed
2 Tbsp. Butter/Margarine, melted

1. In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, adding in about 2 cups chicken broth to thin out a little.
I cooked and shredded my chicken the night before.
It will be thick until you add in the chicken broth.
The broth will thin it out. You want it creamy, not soupy.
2. Transfer to a 9x12 casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray

3. Melt butter and mix with the crushed crackers. Top casserole.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until bubbly.

Try this dish the original way, or add broccoli or other veggies for a one-dish dinner. If you really want to kick it up, sprinkle in a little cayenne.  For a quick weeknight meal, cook and shred your chicken in advance. You’ll be able to throw the casserole together in no time. Enjoy!!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment